Importance Of Good PostureSeptember 14, 2018
Physical Therapy for TendonitisOctober 8, 2018
Preventing Running Injuries
Running is a great form of exercise for those who are looking to lose weight or live a healthy lifestyle. However, if you are not running properly, it could put a lot of stress on your body and lead to more serious injuries and health conditions. At Movement Concepts, we offer physical therapy in Garden City that can help you prevent running injuries so you can get the most out of your workout.
Here are some tips on how you can prevent running injuries:
- Improve and maintain flexibility
- By stretching every day, you will increase your flexibility which will help improve your performance and prevent injuries. It’s recommended to hold each stretch for 30 seconds for the best results.
- Increase strength training
- If your muscles are weak, it can lead to muscle fatigue and can have a negative effect on your performance.
- By having 2-3 strength training sessions per week, that focus on all muscle groups will improve your body and athleticism.
- Stay hydrated and eat well
- It’s important to drink the correct amount of water before running to avoid heat exhaustion and dehydration.
- It is recommended to take in 6-8 ounces of fluids for every 15-20 minutes of exercise.
- Warm up and cool down when running
- It’s important to warm up before running to flush out lactic acid buildup in muscles and prevent delayed muscle soreness.
- Cooling down after running allows your muscles to properly relax for the best results from your run.
- The right shoe is important because it can protect your foot and ankle from injuries and prevent pain and discomfort. The type of shoe you should wear while running depends on your foot and the amount of running you will be doing.
If you are a runner and want to learn about more ways that you could prevent injuries, we offer physical therapy in Garden City that can help!
Common Running Injuries
Running can place a lot of stress on the body. If not done correctly, it can cause injuries such as:
- Runner’s knee
- Achilles tendonitis
- Hamstring issues
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints
- Iliotibial band syndrome
- Stress fracture
If you are interested in learning more about how our physical therapy in Garden City can help you prevent running injuries, contact us today!