If you are in search of physical therapy in Garden City after suffering from a golf-related injury, contact Movement Concepts Physical Therapy today for more information on how we can help you.
Similar to most sports injuries, golf injuries are preventable with the proper techniques. Golf is typically a low-impact sport, however, there are many different types of injuries associated with it. These injuries are mainly based on your swing and whether or not you are using the correct posture. An improper posture can lead to stressing the same muscles, tendons, and joints repeatedly. If you feel like you may have injured yourself playing golf, you may benefit from physical therapy in Garden City with Movement Concepts Physical Therapy.
There are many injuries that one can sustain from golfing. The most common ones include:
- Back pain- While back pain is common for non-golfers, the chances of experiencing it are higher for golfers. When you swing, the rotation applies pressure to your spine and muscles.
- Golfer’s elbow or Tennis elbow- This is when there is inflammation of the elbow’s tendon tissue, also known as “tendinitis”. If the inflammation is on an outer tendon, it is considered “tennis elbow”, whereas an inner tendon inflammation is referred to as “golfer’s elbow”. Your physical therapy in Garden City can help determine which you are experiencing.
- Rotator Cuff Injury- If you are experiencing pain around the shoulder area, this is because of a poorly executed golf swing technique or overuse of muscles and joints.
- Neck Injuries- This is more common in individuals who are new to golfing because the twisting motion of their bodies is not something they are accustomed to. After swinging the golf club for a few hours, this may result in muscle spasms in the neck, as well as freezing in a painful position.
- Hip Injuries- Swinging a golf club involves a lot of pivoting and twisting of the body. Your hip is repeatedly going through this twisting motion, which can lead to injuries such as lower back injuries and groin strains.
If you find yourself suffering from a golf-related injury, physical therapy in Garden City can help you learn the proper techniques for prevention.
- Exercise and Stretching- In order to prevent any injury from a golf swing, it is crucial to include stretching and strengthening exercises that will keep your muscles in tip-top shape. There are different exercises that target your back, shoulder, hip, rotator cuff, and neck that will allow you to get right back to the golf course. Warm-up for at least 10 minutes prior to playing a round of golf.
- Equipment- It’s also important to make sure you have the proper equipment. Your golf clubs should be the right length and weight for you. When carrying your golf bag, avoid carrying it with an aching shoulder and avoid applying stress to a bad back.
- Take a break-Once your muscles or tendons start hurting, it’s okay to take a break. Playing through pain can make matters worse. It’s important to listen to your body.
- Avoid hitting anything other than the ball- Although this sounds silly, many elbow or wrist injuries are caused by hitting the ground instead of the ball.
Physical Therapy in Garden City
Going to physical therapy in Garden City with Movement Concepts Physical Therapy can allow you to practice some exercises and good posture that can help prevent these injuries. Contact us today to receive quality care to treat your golf-related injuries!